Monday, October 02, 2006

FYI - Next Book We Are Going To Read

So - the next book I am going to read is The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. I just wanted to let you know so if you want to read along, you have plenty of time to borrow or buy the book. The book blurb on the back says, "Upton Sinclair's dramatic and deeply moving story exposed the brutal conditions in the Chicago stockyards at the turn of the century and brought into sharp moral focus the appalling odds against which immigrants and other working people struggled for their share of the American Dream. Denounced by the conservative press as un-American libel on the meatpacking industry, the book was championed by more progressive thinkers, including then president Theodore Roosevelt, and was a major catalyst to the passing of the Pure Food and Meat Inspection Act, which has tremendous impact to this day." Sounds progressive and extremely interesting. It also sounds a little bit gory! Well, it has 30 chapters in it overall, so I think I might try to read 2 chapters a day when we get to that book. That way it should take me about 15 days to read it. I look forward to reading it with you.

No comments: